A draft of an IESG charter

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:46:46 +0100

--On mandag, desember 09, 2002 16:02:12 +0200 Jari Arkko
<jari.arkko@piuha.net> wrote:

> Looks pretty good. I do have a question / comment, however.
> In Section 6.3 it says that the IAB handles external relationships.
> I'm kind of suprised by this. I would have though the IAB needs
> to work on architecture, and that many of the external relationships
> e.g. with other standards bodies are more day-to-day operations
> that rest better on the IESG? Or is the intention that the IESG
> is overloaded and wants to offload this task to someone else.
> Perhaps there should be a third, small, group for this purpose.

see the IAB charter, which has a longer/better description of this.

> (What are the "external relationships" in practise? Perhaps I have
> misunderstood and there's a bunch of architectural discussions going
> on between the IAB and other bodies.)

mostly it's handling the mechanics of setting up liaisons, working out MOUs
and so on. some people on the IAB feel that this is interfering with the
architecture work; others on the IAB + IESG feel that it's an important
part of offloading the IESG so that *they* can concentrate on managing the
process.