Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Henning Schulzrinne hgs@cs.columbia.edu
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 14:06:25 -0500

W3C, the Java Community Process and IEEE are also volunteer
organizations in that they don't pay their participants. (That the
participants pay them to participate only emphasizes the point.)

Also, from my involvement in professional organizations, IEEE and ACM,
as a volunteer, I know that deadlines matter and that people, unpaid,
are held to task if they don't deliver on time. If, for example, a
conference chair doesn't deliver the paper review results in time,
nobody cuts him or her any slack just because the chair wasn't paid a
nickel to do the job. The time to negotiate a deadline is before a
volunteer accepts the task, not afterwards, when other people depend on
the output. (As usual, there are circumstances beyond a person's
control, etc.)