Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Marshall Rose mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 09:29:53 -0800

> let's get a grip here.  this is a volunteer organization, in a
> declining economy, with the work being done by a class of people
> notorious for being bad estimators of time.  adjust your
> expectations.  we should each worry about how simply, elegantly,
> rigorously, and promptly we do our own work before we bitch too
> much about the speed of others.

randy - at the risk of being labelled a contrarian, let me repeat to you what i
said to jeff at the plenary

	we've worked together a long time. there's a huge amount of good will in
	the audience towards you. however, at some point, the "we're volunteers"
	excuse is going to fall flat.

yes, the ietf is a volunteer organization. that doesn't mean we have to behave
poorly by not enforcing our own rules...  more on this in my reply to harald,
which is *really* going to ruffle some feathers.

/mtr