Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Edward Lewis edlewis@arin.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:00:29 -0500

At 3:42 -0500 12/8/02, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
>I think that this may actually be more indicative of a problem with
>our chartering process and our milestone maintenance than it is with
>the progress of these WGs.

This is a real problem.  Speaking from PROVREG's experience, I was
told in personal, private email (ie, not a form letter) how to update
milestones - from the secretariate.  Until then I wasn't aware that
the milestones were managed or  manageable.

Since then PROVREG's milestones have been roughly current.  Hurray
for us, right?  Well, no.  It seems that although I spend the little
time needed to make sure the dates were up to snuff, I nevery
bothered to make sure I had anything meaningful there.  After the
Atlanta meeting, discussing this with our AD, paf, we decided that we
should have milestones like:

     YR MON Submit EPP document-name to IESG for <ps|ds|exp>

Instead all we have had up to now is "First draft of X", "Decision on
whether to do Y", etc.

My point is - there's no guidance given on what constitutes a real
milestone.  I've failed to find on the website instructions to the
chairs on milestones.  (And for that matter, how to request a meeting
slot and other mechanistic intructions.  I don't mean to expand the
thread, but the lack of web site instructions is larger than just
milestone maintenance.)
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer