Draft of a job posting for process leadership

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:38:15 +0100

Comments welcome.
I had thought I'd try to send this to ietf-announce today (Friday).

               Harald
Job Posting - Chair of problem statement working group

The IESG is searching for a chair for the proposed problem statement
working group.
The IESG has decided to ask for community input when deciding on a chair
for this working group.

Among the criteria that we think are important for the person we need for
this task are:

- Knowledge of the IETF community
- Independent of any particular IETF group
- Ability to listen to input from the community
- Capable of clear statement of thinking
- Capable of guiding a group towards consensus
- Understanding organization management principles
- Understanding organizational dynamics and organizational growth
- Not a present member of IESG or IAB
- Not a candidate for IESG or IAB on this nomcom cycle (2002-2003)

If you want to suggest a candidate, or want to volunteer to be a candidate,
please send email to chair@ietf.org, stating the name, email and important
qualifications of the persons you want to suggest, on or before December
13, 2002.
Late suggestions will be considered when possible.

The AD will attempt to verify with the suggested persons that they are
willing to do the task, and will discuss the list of candidates with the
IESG and the nomcom.
The list of willing candidates may also be made public.
If a candidate wishes to not have his or her name made public, please note
so when accepting the request to be considered.

The proposed charter for the WG is attached.

Problem Statement (problem)

Chair(s):
TBD

General Area Director(s):
Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>

General Area Advisor:
Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>

Mailing List:
General Discussion:  problem-statement@alvestrand.no
Archive:             http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/problem-statement/

Description of Working Group:

Discussions over the last couple of months have revealed a significant
number of thoughts about problems that exist with the way the IETF operates.
In advance of trying to change the IETF procedure rules to deal with these
problems, it would be a Good Thing to have a clear, agreed-upon description
of what problems we are trying to solve.

This group is charged with bringing forth the document describing those
problems.

The intent is that the group will discuss issues on its mailing list, and
that there will be an editing team to produce a clear, concise problem
statement that the group can have consensus on, and present to the IETF as
a basis for an IETF consensus.

As a second work item, the group will also produce a proposal for a process
to find solutions to the problems identified.

It is not a part of this group's charter to propose solutions to the
problems.

The work will be reviewed in plenary at the IETF.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec 02 Group formed
Jan 03 First I-D of problem statement issued
Mar 03 Problem statement reviewed at the IETF Plenary
Mar 03 Proposal for further work reviewed at the IETF Plenary
May 03 Problem statement submitted for RFC publication