Registration of media type text/vcard

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Sat Aug 28 19:10:39 CEST 2010

* Simon Perreault wrote:
>   Type name:  text
>
>   Subtype name:  vcard
>
>   Required parameters:  none
>
>   Optional parameters:  version
>
>      The "version" parameter is to be interpreted identically as the
>      VERSION vCard property.  If this parameter is present, all vCards
>      in a text/vcard body part MUST have a VERSION property with value
>      identical to that of this MIME parameter.

This should probably say that not only the semantic but also the syntax
is the same as for the "VERSION" property.

>   Encoding considerations:  The "charset" MIME parameter, if present,
>      MUST be set to "UTF-8", as defined in [RFC3629].

The "charset" parameter would have to be defined under "optional
parameters"; this field should have one of the values defined in RFC
4288 (7bit, framed, binary, or 8bit).

Further, this should first define syntax and semantics of the parameter
value and then limit the set of permissable values, so something like
'"charset": as defined for text/plain; encodings other than UTF-8
[STD0063] must not be used."

I do note that there are plenty of applications that treat text types
with a charset parameter as being text in the specified encoding, while
such an imposed limit will cause some implementations to treat documents
as UTF-8 encoded regardless of the parameter; that in turn can be a se-
curity vulnerability and should be noted in the Security Considerations.

I've just posted a comment on this to vcarddav at ietf.org.

>   Published specification:  draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-13
>
>   Applications that use this media type:  They are numerous, diverse,
>      and include mail user agents, instant messaging clients, address
>      book applications, directory servers, customer relationship
>      management software, etc.

The trailing "etc." is unnecessary here as it is clear that these are
only examples.