Registration of media type text/vcard

Ned Freed ned.freed at mrochek.com
Wed Aug 25 23:02:32 CEST 2010

> The following might be a personal opinion:

> What is the advantage of having a charset parameter?

> When I see how this has caused issues with faulty transmissions (most
> commonly servers claiming media type text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
> without certainty that it is in the right charset), I would like to
> discourage any charset parameter anywhere possible.

A charset parameter makes sense when (a) Multiple charsets are in use
that cannot be readily distinguished from each other and (b) The media type
does not identify the charset in use internally.

If those conditions aren't met, then the parameter makes no sense. If they are,
a parameter is needed.

				Ned