Spanglish

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Sat Jan 7 18:57:24 CET 2017

(My comment in italic below)

Den 2017-01-07 17:58, skrev "John Cowan" <cowan at ccil.org>:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14 at telia.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Looking at the current Filipino CLDR locale data, it is actually a
>> "fil+en+es" mix.
>
> That's pretty much what Tagalog/Filipino actually is: like English, it is
> stuffed full of
> loanwords.

Loan words are common in many languages, yes. But the Filipino CLDR locale
data has (e.g.)
"light year", whereas the Tagalog/Filipino Wikipedia page has "sinag-taon",
and the "light year"
in the locale data does not even appear to be adapted to the "matrix
language".

Same for "astronomical unit" (in CLDR/Filipino), but Tagalog/Filipino
Wikipedia has
"yunit na astronomikal"/"astronomikal na yunit". The former is clearly
English, whereas
the two latter are clearly Filipino using loan words.

So I would still say that the current Filipino CLDR data is a mix with
English, not just
(heavy) use of loan words.

/Kent K