Spanglish

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 6 21:39:50 CET 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 4:34 AM, Luc Pardon <lucp at skopos.be> wrote:

> Next, people who think fine-grained tagging serves no purpose may
> want to read up on the WCAG 2.0 "success
> criterion" 3.1.2. That criterion says:
>
> > The human language of each passage or phrase in the content can be
> programmatically determined except for proper names, technical terms,
> words of indeterminate language, and words or phrases that have become
> part of the vernacular of the immediately surrounding text. (Level AA)

Well, yes.  It's the "words of indeterminate language" that are the problem.
In the sentence "Porque were you hablaing with ese seƱorita?", the matrix
language is English and there are Spanish loan-words in it, but "hablaing"
is neither English nor Spanish, but a Spanish root with an English
grammatical
ending.  Marking it up as either en or es would be wrong.

Babies are born as a result of the mating between men and women,
and most men and women enjoy mating.
    --Isaac Asimov in Earth: Our Crowded Spaceship