Spanglish

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 6 21:29:21 CET 2017

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 3:32 AM, Luc Pardon <lucp at skopos.be> wrote:

 If I have a text in the Greek language, I can write that down with
> Greek characters, or I can transliterate it into Latin, or Russian, or
> whatever. The language remains exactly the same Greek, written by the
> same writer.

Absolutely, but the script is a bigger barrier to mutual intelligibility
than
anything except the language itself.  I can read English in Latin script
with ease, in Greek or Cyrillic or IPA with difficulty, in Arabic or
Devanagari
not at all.

Micropayment advocates mistakenly believe that efficient allocation of
resources is the purpose of markets.  Efficiency is a byproduct of market
systems, not their goal.  The reasons markets work are not because users
have embraced efficiency but because markets are the best place to allow
users to maximize their preferences, and very often their preferences are
not for conservation of cheap resources.  --Clay Shirky