Record for Spanglish variant

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Jan 5 21:42:14 CET 2017

My problem with this is that, for purposes of identifying a given Spanglish text, it
(a) may not be feasible to determine, and
(b) probably is not relevant
which is the matrix language and which is embedded. Thus we require the tag consumer to care about a distinction that he would not otherwise care about.

--Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org
-------- Original message --------From: Avram Lyon <ajlyon at gmail.com> Date: 1/5/17  14:25  (GMT-06:00) To: lucp at skopos.be, Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org>, ietf-languages <ietf-languages at iana.org> Subject: Re: Record for Spanglish variant

When I was doing linguistics work, the relevant term was the matrix language ("dominant") and the "embedded" language (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code-switching#Matrix_language-frame_model, but also in the literature). In the case of tagging, I believe we are recommending that the prefix be the matrix language of the material being tagged.