ISO 639-3 language codes posted

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Feb 7 03:15:45 CET 2017

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM, David Starner <prosfilaes at gmail.com> wrote:

Looking at a couple of the rejected slips, Pomeranian can probably be coded
> as nds-BR. Louisiana Spanish would need a separate tag; I don't think even
> subnational territory codes would be appropriate here, given that the
> dialects of Spanish spoken most commonly in Louisiana are probably more
> related to es-MX (and es-CU, maybe?) than to these native dialects. I'm not
> even sure they should be one tag, given the change request says "Autonym
> (self-name) for this language:

The new languages were rejected are pretty uniformly because they are
dialects, not languages.  I move that the Official Doug be asked to grab
these people's emails and send them a letter explaining what a variant tag
is, and suggesting that they (severally) apply for them.

That you can cover for the plentiful and often gaping errors, misconstruals
and disinformation in your posts through sheer volume -- that is another
misconception.  --Mike to Peter