Spanglish

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Dec 30 00:38:48 CET 2016

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:

A new -c- extension would indicate explicitly that both languages (or
> more than 2, if desired) are presented in free combination and that none
> is dominant over the other(s). It should also specify an
> extension-specific matching rule that any tag involving both (or all) of
> the indicated languages should compare as equal, so that "en-c-es" is
> explicitly equal to "es-c-en", and so forth.

Well, I don't agree with that part.  I think in fact that it's always
possible
to tell which is the matrix language, and so that es-c-en is a kind of es,
whereas en-c-es is a kind of en.

The present impossibility of giving a scientific explanation is no proof
that there is no scientific explanation. The unexplained is not to be
identified with the unexplainable, and the strange and extraordinary
nature of a fact is not a justification for attributing it to powers
above nature.  --The Catholic Encyclopedia, s.v. "telepathy" (1913)