Spanglish

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 30 00:10:43 CET 2016

I also do not really like overloading -t- with this 'new' concept.  The -c- seems a bit clumsy to me, especially when es-c-en and en-c-es are supposed to be equivalent.  BCP47 and the like sort of indicates that the -c- stuff could be ignored.  So some systems would see those as "English" or "Spanish" and lose the minor detail of the combined form.

I don't really have any great ideas to resolve the clumsiness that I see though (other than a unique code, but there seem to be a LOT of these).

Some languages seem to fit both the concept of a "combined" language, and yet also get their own code.  Or maybe they evolved from a combined language to their own language.

-Shawn