Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Mar 26 15:55:39 CET 2015

I can live with "Prefix: pt-PT", at least for now.

I didn't get the sense that this variant was only expected to modify
Portuguese Portuguese, and not Brazilian or Angolan or Mozambican
Portuguese, either in the short or long term. I also don't think we
should take it upon ourselves to track ratification of the reform in
various countries, or try to judge which users of Portuguese are
"really" adopting the changes, and to what extent.

However, as several have pointed out, we can always start with "pt-PT"
and add more prefixes over time:

Prefix: pt-PT
Prefix: pt-BR
Prefix: pt-AO
Prefix: pt-MZ

or, one day, replace them all with:

Prefix: pt

I'm not optimistic about the chances that people will want to go through
this wringer again to add more prefixes, but at least registering
'ao1990' with "pt-PT" will solve the immediate needs as stated by
multiple participants.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸