No consensus on en-GB-oed replacement?

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Wed Apr 1 14:12:34 CEST 2015

*i-default. *I understand that it is defined in RFC 2277, but I don't know
of any software that actually uses it:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tags/i-default. The definition is very
peculiar—it is really something like "en-fallback": that is, 'we had to
fallback to English because we didn't have the requested language'.(Personally,
I think it would be cleaner to deprecate it; after all, any specs or
software that did use it would continue to use it as is, since deprecation
isn't removal.)

If it really did serve an important need, then it would be better as a
variant tag anyway, because then you could combine it with more than just
English: eg, have "fr-fallback" meaning that 'we had to fallback to
French because
we didn't have the requested language'.

On the other hand, I doubt that any software using CLDR would ever, ever
need it, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it is the one holdout.

*i-mingo. *On the other hand, it would be nice to get this resolved. There
are few sources on the web for Mingo; some indicate that it is a variant of
Seneca (http://www.oocities.org/gilf_1/IroMain.htm,
http://www.native-languages.org/seneca.htm), while I think Doug found one
that contended that it was a separate language.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*