No consensus on en-GB-oed replacement?

cowan at ccil.org cowan at ccil.org
Wed Apr 1 17:01:59 CEST 2015

Mark Davis scripsit:

> *i-default. *I understand that it is defined in RFC 2277, but I don't know
> of any software that actually uses it:

IMAP.

> it is really something like "en-fallback": that is, 'we had to
> fallback to English because we didn't have the requested
> language'.

Not so.  It is used where the user has had no opportunity to request a
specific language.  It may include text in multiple languages, English
being one of them.  If "i-default" text is English-only, it may be simpler
English than "en" text, to maximize its intelligibility, or may even
be semantically different, like "Get help" instead of "Login failed".

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
"The serene chaos that is Courage, and the phenomenon of Unopened
Consciousness have been known to the Great World eons longer than
Extaboulism."
"Why is that?" the woman inquired.
"Because I just made that word up", the Master said wisely.
        --Kehlog Albran, The Profit