Re: Descriptions for Volapük variants

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jan 11 11:11:22 CET 2012

On 11 Jan 2012, at 07:38, Kent Karlsson wrote:

> Very few variant tags are based on people's names, IMHO basically for lack of other common denotation for the variant.

I don't recall whether there are any variant tags based on names or not.

> Here there seem to be other denotations for the variants, those used in the language itself, that are not based on names of persons. I would think that is preferable to use for devising variant subtags.

But as most people don't know Volapük even if they know about it (many Esperantists know quite a lot about Volapük and its place in the history of international auxiliary languages) using "nulik" and "rigik" is not necessarily as transparent as referring to Schleyer (who devised the original version of Volapük) and de Jong (who revised Volapük), whose names are well known indeed.

And people might get confused that "Volapük rigik" is sort of a Riksvolapük, and "Volapük nulik" as a sort of Nyvolapük.... ;-)

I am going to poll the users over on the Volapük Yahoo list for their opinions.