Variant subtag request: iso91995

Avram Lyon ajlyon at ucla.edu
Sun Sep 19 16:05:53 CEST 2010

2010/9/19 Yury Tarasievich <yury.tarasievich at gmail.com>:
> What about the general scheme in which one combines the language prefix
> (e.g., ru-) and the translit/romanisation subtags (-).
> For ISO, the 'iso' and 4-digit year would do, as there were no other major
> ISOs for that, it seens. Also for ISO 9, at least for the East Slavonic
> languages, you'd want to discriminate on the basis of "ISO table" used.
> Similarly, for other translit./roman. standards, the code for the standard
> family, the year and the optional qualificator.

This seems reasonable to me. It is possible that some years produced
more than one ISO or GOST standard, but that seems like a negligible
risk, and can be dealt with on an ad hoc basis.

> So, you'd have:
> ru-iso1968, ru-iso1995a and ru-iso1995b (Tables A and B);
> ru-gost1971 ;
..
> ru-bgnpcgn or be-bgnpcgn would consume '8-letters', so, possibly, it'd
> better to make those 'ru-geo1947' or, say, 'ru-enge/ru-eng'.

These do look fine to me. The standard number can be in the
description field -- the standards organization is a good enough clue
to what the subtag represents. In fact, the standards you list are
essentially the ones that I anticipate requesting in the near future
as part of the multilingual bibliographic data tagging in Zotero.

I don't recall, however, what tables A and B represent in the ISO
9:1995 standard-- I had read the standard at some point last year, but
I don't have it on hand. If they are significant, then I'll change my
subtag request accordingly. Can you elaborate on them?

Regards to the list,

Avram