Proposed new variant subtag: pre1917

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 20:27:41 CEST 2010

Hi, Doug, all:
Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Sep 12 18:09:51 CEST 2010

> Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at telia dot com> wrote:
>> I think using a year number for a variant subtag for an orthography
>> *introduced* officially or effectively at or around a particular year
>> perfectly fine. (But I agree that "pre1917" is a no-go. It's
>> backwards.)
> I concede that some (8-letters-or-less) equivalent of 'peter1708' and
> 'shakhmatov1917'
These are fine with me but I am not the requestor.
Sorry for my earlier vague suggestion of pre1917 (it had the right number of characters in it . . . )

> would be better than simply '1917' or 'pre1917' or
> 'rus1917', as these would indicate specifically the orthographic reforms
> of 1708 and 1917 and would not lend themselves to inappropriate generic
> application.
>> Something like "cyr44let" is, however, needlessly obfuscated.
> I agree.  Russians are probably very familiar with "the 44-letter
> alphabet" and "the 33-letter alphabet" but this approach requires
> non-native speakers to count letters.
>> I don't see a proposal for a subtag for post-1917 Russian
>> orthography...
> There is a history, perhaps an unfortunate one, that if language
> variation A gets a variant subtag and language variation B does not,
> some people will take that to mean that variation B must be the
> "standard" or "normal" or "official" or "correct" variation and A must
> be the aberration.  The only solution acceptable to all is to assign two
> v(or more) subtags.  So far we have not had any calls for a variant
> subtag indicating "non-Scottish English" or "modern French orthography,"
> but time will tell.

Modern French may be the standard.

> I'd like to suggest that we need only two subtags, not three, since
> Avram Lyon's original request stated:
> "This variant subtag is intended to apply to text presented in the
> Russian Civil Script, after the Petrine orthographic reforms of 1708 and
> before the December 23, 1917 orthographic reform."
Yes we certainly do not need three; my feeling is the requestor has just asked for the one subtag and that's the one we should register; if it causes confusion not to have a separate subtag for the standard orthography of today then we'll have to fix that but not yet . . .
Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com