ISO 3602

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Sep 18 06:56:44 CEST 2009

I have now seen ISO 3602.  ASCII no questions, EBCDIC no lies.
It specifies the kunrei-shiki (or "kunreisiki", as it's spelled in
kunrei-shiki) transliteration only.  There is no mention of Nihon-shiki
by name.  There is merely a "Note" in clause 6 saying "A scheme for
stringent transliteration would differ from this transcription System
on the following items:", followed by a list of the differences between
kunrei-shiki and Nihon-shiki.  Note the phrases "A scheme" and "would
differ".

So it is incorrect to say that ISO 3602 standardizes Nihon-shiki in
any way.  I think the reference to ISO 3602 should be removed from the
Nihon-shiki subtag in favor of some other reference.

--
John Cowan    cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
This great college [Trinity], of this ancient university [Cambridge],