Flavors of Hepburn (was Status of Japanese requests and was: Re: Ietf-languages Digest, Vol 81, Issue 41)

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 6 02:49:10 CEST 2009

Hi
Mark Crispin mrc+ietf at Panda.COM
Sun Sep 27 21:45:34 CEST 2009

> Yes. I contend that "any romanization of Japanese that fits the Hepburn model better than
>it fits other models" is a good definition, is reasonably concise, and ought to be used in
>the registration.
 This definition sounds fine, but Doug said not for the description field--in the comments maybe??

I don't think it's completely clear that [kunrei] should not be registered as it is  well enough defined--I agree with Randy that we don't need to build a perfect tree here --that would be impossible; if we saw at a later date that the [kunrei] subtag should have as its prefix some other subtag in addition  [ja-Latn] we would need to deprecate [kunrei] though which would be a shame as it's a convenient name so I'm willing to wait to register [kunrei]-- but I'm also willing to wager that the prefix [ja-Latn] is what [kunrei] will ultimately get!

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com