Reminder: ISO 639-3 changes are coming

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Nov 14 18:24:41 CET 2009

Philip Newton <philip dot newton at gmail dot com> wrote:

>> I don't know what the JAC's policy is. It is reasonable to have
>> identifiers for those artificial languages that actually end up
>> having some reasonable number of fluent speaker/writers, such as
>> Esperanto and Klingon (which we already have ids for).
>
> I think writers is the key -- if you only have speakers, you probably
> don't have a real need for a machine-readable tag attached to data in
> that language.

Many, many languages with ISO 639-3 code elements are spoken-only.  But
few, if any, constructed languages created in what UNSD would call
"developed countries" would be spoken-only.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­