Reminder: ISO 639-3 changes are coming

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sat Nov 14 20:17:28 CET 2009

> Many, many languages with ISO 639-3 code elements are spoken-only.  But
> few, if any, constructed languages created in what UNSD would call
> "developed countries" would be spoken-only.

  I'm not sure that if that's what Philip meant, but I'd say that as far as
constructed languages are concerned, written sources would indeed be a sound
criterion for deciding upon their inclusion in ISO 639-3.  I deem that the vast
majority of speakers of any such artificial language has been studying it first
(from books, lessons, or such) before aquiring fluency; therefore the situation
is much the opposite as that of "real" languages.  There are of course
well-known exceptions -- that kid has been brought up in English and Klingon by
Star Trek enthusiatic parents -- but they're probably exceedingly rare.

	Arthur