Last call for ISO 15924-based updates

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Mar 17 13:34:10 CET 2009

Lang Gérard <gerard dot lang at insee dot fr> wrote:

> It is a very god thing that IETF's BCP (de facto standards, whose use
> is restricted to some forms of use) make use of ISO standards (de jure
> standards, that are designed for very large categories of users), but
> they must use them only for what they really are for and not twist
> these ISO standards for the sole advantage of Internet or Language
> industry, that is maybe a growing part of the world, but not all the
> world we live in.

I would not have said that BCP 47 "twists" the core standards in any
way.  I would have thought it would be the other way around: we would be
"twisting" the standards if we picked some of their code elements and
discarded others, or added new non-private code elements, or did
something else in violation of the provisions of the standard.

For the most part, we use code elements from ISO 639 to represent
languages, from ISO 15924 to represent scripts, and from ISO 3166 to
represent countries.  That doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me.

http://www.ewellic.org