Proposal to remove Preferred-Value field for region YU in LTRU

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Mar 6 18:22:08 CET 2009

CE Whitehead scripsit:

> (I had gotten the impression that ietf was not interested in any
> historic names other than those which got deprecated during the lifetime
> of ietf

More precisely: since March 1995, the promulgation date of RFC 1776,
which is the original language-tag RFC.

> I thought that instead variant subtags were registered
> to identify language varieties associated with ancient countries

Region subtags, as I have said, are just a special case of variant
subtags.  We use them because we always have, because we can, and because
they're there.

> . . . ??where are the codes that Gerard mentions for countries from
> 1815 to the present--I only see ISO 3166

Since the AFNOR standard is abandoned, we aren't likely to use it.
In any case, its 4-letter codes conflict with script codes.

--
If you understand,                      John Cowan
   things are just as they are;         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
if you do not understand,               cowan at ccil.org
   things are just as they are.