Proposal to remove Preferred-Value field for region YU in LTRU

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:09:07 CET 2009

Hi!  When I research "noms des pays" (country names) I get:http://peuplier.afnor.fr:10000/cgi/web?3555091861;As Stephan noted, AFNOR did apparently plan to help tackle historic country names but has not done so because the issue became too sensitive . .(I had gotten the impression that ietf was not interested in any historic names other than those which got deprecated during the lifetime of ietf???I thought that instead variant subtags were registered to identify language varieties associated with ancient countries . . . ??where are the codes that Gerard mentions for countries from 1815 to the present--I only see ISO 3166)Here is the 5 February newsletter comment again (hope I my translation is correct):"Le 1er février 2008, le groupe international a accepté de soumettre un nouveau sujet, sur la base d’unenorme expérimentale française : « Code pour la représentation des océans et des mers ». Jugé trop délicatdu point de vue politique, des travaux pour un « code pour la représentation des noms de pays historiques »(ayant existé depuis l’an 1000) ont été refusés""On February 1rst, 2008, the international group accepted the undertaking of a new issue, dealing with the database? for an experimental French standard:  "Code[s]/codage for representing oceans and seas".Judged too delicate politically, the work toward a "code/codage for representinghistorical country names (in existence since the year 1000) was rejected."
--C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.com (MY NOTE:http://www.geocities.com/quaiouestenglish/notesforlinguisticsietf/InuitLanguageNotes.html this is fooling around, but would like to find comparative Samoyed, Tungus, Turkic [Yakut & Turkic in general] and Inuit vocabulary; also does anyone else think that the Inuit verb endings have been partly derived from the Samoyed?  [I do not see a relationship between the two language groups except for the verb endings which I think are related--but I have limited data anyway]  Reply privately . . .I'd prefer data I can print & look at offline; I've found some online word lists & have printed some no Tungus however)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Mar 3 13:45:02 CET 2009 >More seriously, the search engine on the AFNOR
Web site <http://www.afnor.fr/> says:

>Aucun document ne correspond à votre recherche :
44-002

>Also, the AFNOR newsletter of 5 february 2008 says:

>Jugé trop délicat du point de vue politique, des travaux pour un
« code pour la représentation des noms de pays historiques » (ayant
existé depuis l'an 1000) ont été refusés. (information du 2 février
2008).

>"Deemed to be too touchy, work on "Code for the representation of the
name of historical coutries" has been refused." >On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 12:11:35PM +0100,