Governing document transition (Re: Proposed new records and reg forms for ISO 15924 changes)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Jul 5 20:37:44 CEST 2009

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

> But, does the reviewer need to be formally reappointed at this time?

Yes.  Section 3.2 of the approved draft says:

"The Language Subtag Reviewer is appointed by the IESG for an indefinite
term, subject to removal or replacement at the IESG's discretion.  The
IESG will solicit nominees for the position (upon adoption of this
document or upon a vacancy) and then solicit feedback on the nominees'
qualifications.  Qualified candidates should be familiar with BCP 47 and
its requirements; be willing to fairly, responsively, and judiciously
administer the registration process; and be suitably informed about the
issues of language identification so that the reviewer can assess the
claims and draw upon the contributions of language experts and subtag
requesters."

I will leave it to others to speculate (or disclose their intentions) as
to why the current Reviewer should be subject to another round of this.

I'd like to know whether "upon adoption of this document" refers to IESG
approval, which has already happened, or RFC Editor publication, which
will happen at some unknown point in the future.  If it refers to
approval, I'd like to see this process of appointing a Reviewer, either
the current one or someone else, started as soon as possible, so it can
be concluded as soon as possible.

For the record, I support the current configuration, with Michael
serving as Reviewer and delegating list management to Harald and
administrative pencil-pushing to me.

http://www.ewellic.org