Pinyin

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Wed Sep 24 21:34:14 CEST 2008

The guiding principle in forming language tags is to "tag content wisely." Wisdom, of course takes different forms, but 'km', 'es', and 'pqm' are almost certainly better tag choices than ones that include dubious region subtags if one is not familiar enough to know if a regional distinction applies (or not). A librarian (or anyone else) is better off following RFC 4646 and/or its successor, where it says:

--
Subtags SHOULD only be used where they add useful distinguishing information; extraneous subtags interfere with the meaning, understanding, and processing of language tags.
--

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126