Pinyin

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 21:26:05 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 3:05 PM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
> David Starner scripsit:
>
>> km-US and tr-DE make sense; even if bo-TW doesn't exist today, it
>> doesn't seem that unlikely a combination to appear in the future.
>
> Not really.  km-US may make sense as a *locale*, but as a *language
> tag* it would mean "Khmer as spoken/written in the U.S.", which as far
> as I know is not significantly different from Khmer as spoken/written
> in Cambodia.

But whether or not that distinction is important may not be something
the tagger knows; a librarian tagging recordings is probably better
off tagging km-US, es-US and pqm-US for recordings of those language
as spoken by Americans in the US then fussing over the fine details of
dialectal variation in those languages.