LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R4): pinyin

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Tue Sep 23 19:36:07 CEST 2008

Michael:

You can approve or reject a given request. However, if you modify someone else’s request, you should probably grant that person or persons the opportunity to respond. Those people’s names appear on the record, as yours does not.

If they don’t approve, you can reject their request as inadequate, citing reasons and saying what you would approve. The RFC provides for and allows them to modify their request following a rejection to gain your approval.

Personally, I am somewhat horrified by the idea that a requester might vehemently object to an “edited” version of their request and that the result might be registered with their name on it. Of course, anyone else, including you, Michael, may submit and get registered a subtag that the original requester disagrees with. You don’t have to register “just anything” and you don’t have to approve Mark and Ihar’s request. But your alternative is not to ignore their protests and press ahead. It is to reject their application.

Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126