LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Sep 4 06:10:08 CEST 2008

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> As you say, he may reject something based on a single *compelling*
> opinion, and that may happen to be his own; but IMO he must use that
> veto ability very carefully so as to avoid conflict of interest: if
> indeed he alone voices an objecting opinion against several others on
> the list, it would need to be compelling indeed! The issue he raises
> in this case is, IMO, far from compelling.

I don't see where an appearance of conflict of interest would come into
play.  I'm pretty sure Michael doesn't have any products or services
that would work better with "zh-pinyin" than with "zh-Latn-pinyin", nor
does he represent any company or organization that does.

If you want to claim that Michael's position is ill-informed or not well
thought-out, or not adequately defended, that is a different matter.
Note that I'm not saying it is; I don't much care between "zh" and
"zh-Latn" since this field is informative.

http://www.ewellic.org