Fw: Erzgebirgisch Classification Question

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 26 16:27:10 CET 2008

I have no final opinion on what is a dialect of what; and I'm no expert on Germanic languages, but I still personally like the idea of using [gem] to temporarily tag Erzgebirgisch--

as, until the [sxu] subtag comes out, isn't Upper Saxon ([sxu]) still classified under:

[gem] (Germanic:  other)?

Even if it is determined that [sxu] is the correct prefix, won't documents tagged with [gem]--before the date ISO 639-3 comes out with the [sxu] subtag-- include languages that would be tagged with [sxu] later??

--C. E. Whitehead
> Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de > Tue Mar 25 18:08:13 CET 2008 > And that point isn't obvious for cases like erzgeb, which> can be seen as "de" dialect, or as "sxu" dialect, assuming> that "sxu" is a language and not another "de" dialect.> An assumption I don't share, but as I'm not planning to use> this tag for an Accept-Language "de" audience this is not> relevant for the erzgeb registration

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com