Erzgebirgisch Classification Question

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Mar 31 06:39:57 CEST 2008

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> As Frank pointed out, when a new subtag is registered, the original
> subtag can be referenced correctly--if it is first deprecated in favor
> of the new subtag (?? have I got that right?).

There is no discussion about registering two subtags.  The discussion is
about registering a single subtag, 'erzgeb', and giving it a suitable
Prefix field.  Unlike subtags themselves, which can be deprecated, a
Prefix field cannot be independently deprecated, and can never be
removed.  Therefore, the analogy with deprecated subtags is not
appropriate.

We should register 'erzgeb' only with the Prefix field that will be
correct in the long term, which is "sxu", and that means we should wait
until 'sxu' is a valid language subtag, which will happen when RFC
4646bis and RFC 4645bis are approved.

http://www.ewellic.org