Erzgebirgisch Classification Question (was ?? Modification request: gsw (new Description)))

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 17:53:21 CET 2008

Hi, Thomas, all!

As Frank pointed out, when a new subtag is registered, the original subtag can be referenced correctly--if it is first deprecated in favor of the new subtag (?? have I got that right?).

However,  there's not much point in having a subtag that is going to be deprecated in three months as search engines will not work for the subtag/tag during those three months probably???--
so you might as well start using the new subtag--if that is for sure going to be your subtag! (If it's not, you'll have to change all the tags in your pages using search and replace or something later!)

All the same, ff you register a [de] prefixed subtag now & have it deprecated later, it may not be recognized by search engines till after it's deprecated (?? ??)

In any case, whether or not you opt to wait on a revision of BCP 47,you should include in the metacontent page description tag for your pages (if you have access to that--the people on this list have kept insisting that detailed language info goes there):

a description of the page language

as I don't know what search engines will do with your subtag when they 'see' it (even when it's registered)!

(Someone else can explain the search engines to you.)

--C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar at hotmail.com

> Thomas Goldammer thogol at googlemail.com
> Tue Mar 25 16:38:16 CET 2008

> So, if a tag can't be renamed
> later (which I can understand due to reference reasons, seeing the
> problems that have arisen after the last series of SIL code
> renamings...), let's just take sxu as prefix.

> Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
> Sun Mar 23 22:14:58 CET 2008
> When requesters
> want to wait for a future update of RFC 4646 based on 639-6
> drafts or 639-3 it's fine, but when they don't want to wait
> it's also no problem, like RFC 4646 a future update can deal
> with a *few* grandfathered cases, maybe deprecating them in
> favour of whatever is the state of the art later.

> John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
> Tue Mar 25 16:48:10 CET 2008
> Unfortunately, that means the request must wait for formal
> approval until after the next revision of BCP 47, as we do not yet
> actually support ISO 639-3 code elements as language subtags.
> Informally, though, there's no reason why you shouldn't

> start using sxu-erzgeb right away.

--C. E. Whitehead