LANGUAGE SUBTAG REQUEST FORM, Erzgebirgisch

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:24:10 CET 2008

Hoi,
The localisation of MediaWiki makes only sense when people are actually
going to use it. When MediaWiki is localised, it will lead to Internet
content in the linguistic entity that it is requested for. While
Erzgebergisch is not likely to get its own Wikimedia Foundation project, the
localisation will be committed to the MediaWiki SVN and consequently become
part of the MediaWiki distribution when the 500 most relevant messages have
been localised.

We are experimenting with a software project called Multilingual MediaWiki.
In such a project we will indicate on an article by article basis, in what
linguistic entity the article is in. They can be dialects of a language or
they can be the languages of a greater group of languages or it can be a mix
of dialects and languages. In these experiments we will definetly create
content and publish it on the Internet and we will definetly want to use a
proper code for the linguistic entity involved.

Given that MediaWiki has as its purpose to create content on the Internet,
it is safe to assume that content will be created in the linguistic entities
when a code is asked as a result of MediaWiki localisation.
Thanks,
     Gerard