ISO 639 name changes: a general correction

Håvard Hjulstad HHj at standard.no
Sat Jan 6 10:27:44 CET 2007

Dear all,

Sometimes you are right, sometimes you are wrong in thinking that you are wrong...

I am very sorry for any confusion that I may have caused. Please disregard the message below.

The items that this concerns, are considered language groups by the Joint Advisory Committee. As most things in the context of language identification, there are no absolute distinctions. We are, however, trying to be as consistent as we can. There will be coming up some items that relate to macrolanguages as well. What we are doing right now, is to "cleen up" some details before the official release of ISO 639-3, which is pretty much ready for publication as International Standard.

I shall try to keep the terminology straight in the future.

Best regards,
Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad
Standard Norge / Standards Norway