ISO 639 name changes: a general correction

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Fri Jan 5 17:40:20 CET 2007

As the boundary between what is a “language” and what is a “dialect” is open
to discussion, I imagine that the line between “macrolanguage” and “language
group” (=? “language cluster”?) is hard to fix.

My question in all of this is whether these changes alter how these codes
can be used in ICT. For instance, one could in theory write a locale for znd
(now “Zande languages”) or  bin (Edo/Bini) – not proposing that (and don’t
speak these languages) but rather am asking what the implications of these
changes are for localization.

TIA

Don Osborn

Bisharat.net