Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?)

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Thu Dec 13 10:34:15 CET 2007

Mario Périard wrote:

> Approximatly at the same time, (M. Rougnon-Glasson) found the
> third project (ortograf.fr) an ortograf-like spelling with
> new characters to replace all 2(3) letter sounds. M.
> Rougnon-Glasson an us are at the end of process of merging
> our spelling rules with regular characters. We agree with the
> use of new characters when the technology is not an hindrance
> for that.

At the risk of getting slightly off-topic for the list: Regarding:

http://www.alfograf.net/ortograf/images/tract/paj-512-61-alfograf-liste.pdf

I'm sure you [all ortograf-designers...] can find suitable already
encoded Latin letters (there are 1106 'atomic' or precomposed ones
already encoded, plus combining accents, the combinations need not
be precomposed to be used) for these sounds currently spelled with
two or three letters in French. Trying to use some newly formed
"'ligatures' formed by joining bars", WILL be a hindrance per se.
Firstly they will have a hard time getting encoded in Unicode/10646.
Secondly, their appropriateness may be questionable, especially since
other languages orthographies, needed new letters, rather uses
diacritised letters or letter variants, rather than joining letters
with bars.

		/kent k