Fw: m49 code for Scotland?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Aug 21 21:59:18 CEST 2007

Debbie Garside scripsit:

> The ramifications of allocating 3166 codes for these are that it would
> open the door for ccTLDs.  There are for and there are against on this
> issue. I spoke with WAG and they are on the fence - which I took to
> mean they don't want to rock the UK boat.

This is not ISO 3166, this is UNSD M.49.  There can be and are many
entities which have M.49 codes but do not have corresponding ISO
3166 entries: e.g.  Africa, whose M.49 code is 002 but which has no
corresponding ISO 3166 code element.

To recap:  Currently, UNSD is internally (and informally) using the M.49
codes 827 for England and Wales, 828 for Northern Ireland, and 829 for
Scotland.  Making these official could (apparently) be done by request
of the U.K.  This would not require ISO 3166/MA action and would not
have ccTLD implications.

> We then get on to the codes for Guernsey, Jersey etc. and the Falklands.
> It would seem that if there is water between the geopolitical/devolved
> entities they can have their own code and if there isn't they can't.

Well, none of those places are integral parts of the U.K.  Man and
the Channel Islands are possessions of the Crown as such; the Falklands
are one of the (currently) 14 overseas territories of (but not part of)
the U.K.

John Cowan    http://ccil.org/~cowan  cowan at ccil.org
The Penguin shall hunt and devour all that is crufty, gnarly and
bogacious; all code which wriggles like spaghetti, or is infested with
blighting creatures, or is bound by grave and perilous Licences shall it
capture.  And in capturing shall it replicate, and in replicating shall
it document, and in documentation shall it bring freedom, serenity and
most cool froodiness to the earth and all who code therein.  --Gospel of Tux