Fw: m49 code for Scotland?

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 20:56:54 CEST 2007

 Karen wrote:

 >> Your usage scenarios are not the same as my real life need and that's
the only context for this request. I need this tag today to distinguish this
language from other en-UK variants yet to be named. I have the same video
content in two UK dialects of English.

Sorry.  I lost my archives as I have changed my laptop within the past 7
days.

 >> I indicated why I need this tag, but I have no use for the more granular
tagging you mention, especially as Google searches on "Edinburgh standard
English" and "standard Glaswegian English" do not turn up many results. I'm
not sure if the word "standard" should be used here -- these terms do not
seem commonly used by linguists.

I was trying to get around the Scots scenario.  I am sure that en-scottish
would be mistakenly used for Scots.  Whereas I thought (from memory) you
were talking about standard english as spoken in scotland (with accents and
the few anomolies)as opposed to dialects which have fuzzy boundaries.

 >> Certainly there are many English dialects in the UK that may want
identification, as others have mentioned, but I don't have a need for them
right now.

OK

 >> The tagging above is also illegal.

I know but I was trying to get my opinion across not trying to tag using the
correct syntax.

>> Below are the search results for "Standard Scottish English."

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22standard+scottish+english%22&hl=en&start=1
0&sa=N

Here are the results for Standard English in Scotland :-)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en
<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Standard+English+in+Scotland&meta>
&q=Standard+English+in+Scotland&meta=

 >> I really just want to say English as spoken in Scotland and leave it at
that, but I'll take a tag for Standard Scottish English if there's no
suitable regional tag. Doug suggests that perhaps "Scotland" is a better
subtag.

Standard Scottish English would be fine by me.

It's quite likely there are several Scottish dialects in the original work
mentioned. It was shot in locations throughout Scotland. That's another
difference between audio language identification and textual language
identification. Audio content is much more likely to have a slight blur of
dialects due to a mix of speakers. Written language usually has one author
per work so you can fully classify the document into a distinct dialect.
Perhaps this is why "Serbo-Croatian" is still useful to us in audio
contexts.

Indeed.

This is somewhat akin to the Catalan vs. Valencian problem so I suspect this
type of regional issue will come up again, probably in the UK for dialects
others have mentioned.

It  is somehwat different as anyone speaking Catalan can also understand
Valencian - the differences are minimal as far as I am aware.  The accent
alone between the scottish dialects is enough to make it unintelligible to
speakers of standard english in my opinion.

Best

Debbie

Regards,

Karen Broome