[Ltru] Re: "mis" update review request

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Sat Apr 14 02:20:13 CEST 2007

That, I think, we are all in agreement on. And that follows what we do in
BCP 47, which is that we say that people *should* tag as specifically as
possible. So if I know that content is "en-US", I *should* say "en-US" and
not just "en". But I *can* also use "en". It might not be the best choice,
but it is a legitimate usage (although not optimal) usage. However, it is a
perfectly reasonable choice if I don't know whether it is "en-US" or
"en-CA", or it could be both.

So what about "mis"? Once again, I *should* tag more specifically, if I have
the information. No argument at all there. The question is whether it is
non-conformant to BCP 47 to tag "kind" as "mis". For that, we need to
establish whether there is sufficient grounds in the text and data of ISO
639-2 as of the time that "mis" was taken into BCP 47 to conclusively
determine that "mis" is disjoint from other language codes. I don't see a
conclusive case from what you and John have said so far, unless I'm missing
something.

I would not at all be adverse to saying that you shouldn't use "und" or
"mis" or "mul" or any collections if you have any more specific information
about the content. And I think it is clear that we need much more guidance
in BCP 47 as to intended usage.

Mark

On 4/13/07, Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I think ISO 639-2 is clear that the most specific category should be used.
> That principle is implicit in the "(Other)" collections. I also think that
> principle in combination with collections creates maintenance problems.
> (Which is why I suggested that all the "(Other)" entries should just be
> "languages" entries.)
>
> (Btw, I think I suggested some time ago it might not be a bad thing to
> deprecate use of collection IDs in IETF language tags.)
>

> Peter

Mark