be-tarask language subtag registration form

C Eddie Whitehead cewcathar at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 17:48:55 CEST 2007

Hi, Jaska, all,
I'm willing to wait for Jaska to ask the local community for their preference between
[tarask]
and
[tarashk]

I checked online in the meantime; here are my results!

Searching for "Taraškievica" with google yields:
 taraskievica
more often than
tarashkievica;

but . . .
straight

Taraškievica

is still more common

(In fact, I never see Tarashkievica)

The Cyrillic form is according to Eurozine (http://www.eurozine.com/journals/arche/issue/2003-09-14.html
):
Тарашкевіца

(I am not good at the Cyrillic alphabet sorry, but here is a try;
maybe the vowels are different too because I got this result for Russian,
sorry:

T a r a sh k e v i ts a
)
(but many transcribers use c where I've got ts for transcribing )

I found a 'converter' online
http://www.pravapis.org/latin.asp

gets us again back to the most common online form:

Taraškievica

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at yahoo.com

"Yury Tarasievich" <yury.tarasievich at gmail.com>

Jaska Zedlik <sub at zedlik.com> wrote: Sunday, April 1, 2007, 10:27:34 PM, Michael wrote:

ME> This is transliteration from Cyrillic, not dropping of diacritics
ME> from Latin.

Belarusian coexists in both Cyrillic and Latin scripts, so to my mind
(and not only mine) there is no reason to use some transliteration
procedure from Cyrillic to make a Belarusian word or name appropriate
for using in Latin texts. In Russian, for example, such a procedure is
done, but Russian simply doesn't have Latin script. But for Belarusian
it is much better to use the name in Belarusian Latin script with
diacritics (if codepage allows) or leaving them.

It was a thought to ask the people who use it, I can't make a decision
on myself, so I'll ask Belarusian language LJ community about the subtag
and bring the result in several days here.

Jaska Zedlik

_________
Thanks Jaska, I'll wait for what you find out!
--cew