Phonetic orthographies

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 22:01:02 CET 2006

I suppose that it's possible that a name like Romanian could offend a
speaker of Moldavian.
Myself, I am all for more variant tags when they encode subtle dialectical
differences, rather than more language tags--if two languages are mutually
comprehensible then it makes little sense to have a new language tag where
not existed if a variant subtag would do;

if the variants were Romanian and Moldavian however I do not know what I
would choose for the overall language tag.

Just the same I'd say new variant subtags are preferable to new lanuage
subtags when possible.

(Interestingly, not always is there a real single parent language for
multiple variants.

For example, certain features in Black English (U.S.) are clearly African
not English in origin, such as the elision of "be" and the use of "be" then
only as a stative or something.  Thus both English and African languages
have affected the dialect but it can be classified as a variant of English.

Similarly, in Romance, not all features are from Latin; I'd wager that the
verb be in French (etre) and the Spanish verb be (estar; note that there is
another Spanish verb ser which probably is from Latin) are both related to
maybe something non-Latin such as the Basque word eta.

--CEW