Phonetic orthographies

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 28 20:57:02 CET 2006

Re "Montenegrin", I don't know what the sociolinguistic situation is there, but Doug has a valid point: sometimes political, religious or ethnic divisions can lead to language split, but sometimes the only difference wrt the language is what name the different communities use to refer to it.

IMO, a name difference should not result in a coding difference. Even though the title of ISO 639 "Code for the representation of names of languages", I view the role of names there has having to do with a subtle technical issue: in a metadata registry, concepts are coded, but formally documenting the concept is done via a name for the concept. It is really the concept that is being coded, but formally the name is the thing we associate with the coding. By comparison with character coding, U+0041 is the coded representation for "LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A" -- or rather the concept that we refer to as "LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A".

As for Romanian vs. Moldavian, I've been inclined to deprecate one, but there is legacy usage that remains a reality (and since this isn't something that needs to be fixed prior to publication of 639-3, it's not a priority for me to get it changed).

Peter