Gwich'in (was: Re: language tag en-cutspell)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Jun 24 19:07:23 CEST 2006

Kent Karlsson scripsit:

> Ok, I???d like to avoid the ASCII apostrophe since that is NEVER the
> proper spelling, just a fallback spelling. I don???t mind using it in
> emails... But I really like to avoid getting that someone comes to
> the conclusion that ???The mark functions and should be processed
> as an apostrophe ('), not as a right single quote (’).???
> (though it???s an apostrophe, it???s not THAT apostrophe).

People will always misunderstand Unicode at first glance.

> Furthermore, I don???t quite understand the remark someone made:
> ???Bad move to add it just because it is an English translation.???
> (then in reference to ???Ivory Coast???). For all of the Description fields
> one has taken the purportedly English name (though that isn???t true
> in all cases, for instance for ???CI???) from the respective source
> standards.

True, and "Côte d'Ivoire" is what appears there as the "English" name.
Adding a English translation of this "English" name would be unprecedented.

--
Even a refrigerator can conform to the XML      John Cowan
Infoset, as long as it has a door sticker       cowan at ccil.org
saying "No information items inside".           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --Eve Maler