A proposed solution for descriptions

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jun 21 11:19:00 CEST 2006

At 23:37 -0700 2006-06-20, Doug Ewell wrote:
>It's clear that we aren't going to reach any
>common ground on the question of registering
>ASCII-only equivalents of names like "Bokmål"

There was no reason to change that by adding an ASCII version.

>or "Côte d'Ivoire",

This should have an o-circumflex and a smart
quote in it. If N'Ko gets a smart quote

>nor on the question of splitting compound names
>like "Falkland Islands (Malvinas)" into separate
>Description fields.

That was your idea and you withdrew it.

>Below is a new, improved list of 5 proposed
>changes to existing Registry entries.  (Compare
>this to my list of 28 changes on June 10.)  I
>propose:
>
>1.  adding a Description field with an ASCII
>apostrophe for every existing Description that
>contains a non-ASCII apostrophe-like character
>(punctuation, modifier letter, left-pointing,
>right-pointing, whatever), and

Ugh.

>2.  removing the spurious apostrophe in "Amis".

Good.

>Type: language
>Subtag: gwi

I object. The grave is a *mistake*. That
character is not used in Gwich'in. The correct
character is U+02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE.

>Type: language
>Subtag: nqo
>Suppress-Script: Nkoo

Fine.

>Type: script
>Subtag: Ethi

I object. The correct character to use for this
is U+02BB MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA

>Type: script
>Subtag: Nkoo

Fine.