A proposed solution for descriptions

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 21 08:37:50 CEST 2006

It's clear that we aren't going to reach any common ground on the
question of registering ASCII-only equivalents of names like "Bokmål" or
"Côte d'Ivoire", nor on the question of splitting compound names like
"Falkland Islands (Malvinas)" into separate Description fields.  So
let's forget about those and talk about the ones we can agree on.

Below is a new, improved list of 5 proposed changes to existing Registry
entries.  (Compare this to my list of 28 changes on June 10.)  I
propose:

1.  adding a Description field with an ASCII apostrophe for every
existing Description that contains a non-ASCII apostrophe-like character
(punctuation, modifier letter, left-pointing, right-pointing, whatever),
and

2.  removing the spurious apostrophe in "Amis".

Note that:

* no non-ASCII apostrophes are proposed to be added or removed
* no changes related to letters with diacritical marks are proposed
* no "bundled" descriptions are proposed to be unbundled, or vice versa

I hope this will be more straightforward and less controversial than the
previous proposal.  As before, the meta-tags [ADD], [RETAIN], and
[DELETE] below indicate the action (or inaction) I propose for each
Description.

Type: language
Subtag: gwi

Type: language