language subtag registration request: Region EU

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 16 04:21:09 CET 2006

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> It is not clear to me that the Oxford represents correct English in
>> Eastern
>> countries of the EU.
>
> Eastern countries of the EU? The Oxford Advanced
> Learner's Dictionary of English had its own
> Polish imprint before 1990.
>
> ISO uses Oxford. CEN uses Oxford. There is no
> Académie Anglaise, Tex, What do you want from me?
> Oxford is an authoritative dictionary, indeed,
> probably the best authority. I answered your
> question.

I think what Tex wants is to point out that neither Oxford nor any other
reference work provides an adequate definition of "English as used in
the European Union" as distinct from "English as used in Europe," such
that the former would exclude English as spoken in Iceland or Norway or
Switzerland and the latter would include them.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA