language subtag registration request: Region EU

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Mon Jan 16 06:51:30 CET 2006

thanks Doug, that is basically it, although we don't require the EU English
to be different from countries that are not in the Union, but en-EU should
adequately represent English as used within the Union.

Michael, of course my question was not directed at you personally.
Oxford is indeed authoritative.
But I am not sure it speaks for all parts of the current and future EU.

Anyway, we have beat this thing up enough. Maybe the proposer can shed some
light.
tex

Doug Ewell wrote:

> Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:
>
> >> It is not clear to me that the Oxford represents correct English in
> >> Eastern
> >> countries of the EU.
> >
> > Eastern countries of the EU? The Oxford Advanced
> > Learner's Dictionary of English had its own
> > Polish imprint before 1990.
> >
> > ISO uses Oxford. CEN uses Oxford. There is no
> > Académie Anglaise, Tex, What do you want from me?
> > Oxford is an authoritative dictionary, indeed,
> > probably the best authority. I answered your
> > question.
>
> I think what Tex wants is to point out that neither Oxford nor any other
> reference work provides an adequate definition of "English as used in
> the European Union" as distinct from "English as used in Europe," such
> that the former would exclude English as spoken in Iceland or Norway or
> Switzerland and the latter would include them.
>
> --
> Doug Ewell
> Fullerton, California, USA
> http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World